Summer Reads...Game of Thrones?

When I posted my Summer Reads on Novel Works at the end of May, I missed one. One of my all time favorite trilogies is Lord of the Rings. I admit I never read it until the first movie came out. I had tried before but my interest wasn't peaked until the overwhelming pull of the movie. Maybe I could better visualize the book? More than likely, I was older and had the desire to read it. So, now...what about A Game of Thrones?

It seems I'm not the only one drawn to A Game of Thrones. Doing a little research, I found George R.R.Martin first published A Song of Ice and Fire, in 1996. The first book in a epic fantasy series, winning the 1997 Locus Award. It was nominated for both the 1998 Nebula Award and the 1997 World Fantasy Award. So...how is it that I didn't hear about it until HBO turned it into a series? Does that mean I live in a bubble encompassed by only authors I know? Probably. Although I do love fantasies, I can only surmise I'm like everyone else and tend to read only what I know.

That is the exact problem I face as an unknown author. More than likely, you will not pick up one of my books unless a friend, a coworker, someone on Facebook, talks about it. It's why reviews are so important. When a reader is looking for something different, naturally they will turn to a source they are familiar with to help determine what to read.

Last summer year, I read alot of Teresa Mederios older books and found Madeline Hunter. I love it when you find an author you love (although I have to say I was a tad disappointed in Ms Hunter's last book). This year I into reading Anne Stuart again. I know its because I met her at the conference, but I do so enjoy her writing. She is not boring. I'm also into Hannah Howell this summer. I love the way she intertwines paranormal and history.

What about other authors, though. Ones that haven't made it to the New York Best Selling List yet. Do I enjoy their books? Yes, I do. I have to be honest its because of my connections on Facebook. I get to know them somewhat and yes that draws me to their books. I can name a few off the top of my head-

Cate Masters (Angels, Sinners, and Madmen). She also has a new release from Whiskey Creek Press, The Bridge Between.
 

Susan Gourley/Kelley- Meg Benjamin- Haley Edwards




There are others I have omitted, but not on purpose. I'm planning this week to talk about books and what draws people to them. I want to talk about publishing houses, new and old. Has anyone been reading the books from Crescent Moon Publishing? But as for A Game of Thrones, did you know that it became a New York Best Seller after it became a HBO series back in January? Remember it was first published back in 1996. Interesting...

Don't forget to check out Patriot Secrets...its now available at Barnes and Noble!








    

Comments

Popular Posts