Less Than Perfect

All week long I have been blogging and promoting for my free days coming up for Daughter of Deceit. I have been thrilled when on Amazon the downloads suddenly skyrocketed for Whispers of a Legend, Part One-Shadows of the Past when Ereader News Today featured it.

But taking a minute and coming back into the real world for a moment, I have to weigh in about the controversy over JCPenny hiring Ellen for their spokes person. I have one question for the Million Mothers-

What if your child came and told you he/she was gay?

No, I don't mean hypothetically. For all the older mothers out there you know what I mean. There will come a time your child no matter how perfect you want them to be will have an issue whether it will be drugs, drinking, or not making straight 'A's...your child will have moments in their life when everything won't be 'perfect.'

Would you love your child less? And if you are Christian should you not judge others with the same compassion?

In life we are faced with so many obstacles that we don't want our children to succumb... alcoholism,  marrying  more than once, having financial problems, being ill with a disease? In life there are no guarantees.

No one wants their child to come to them and tell them they're gay. Not because we will love them less, but because of the bigotry and hatred they will have to endure. To be judge not by your own actions, but by a preconceived notion of what gay means.

I am a Christian. I am a conservative, but I also know and understand that we all fall short. Sitting on top of a perch, judging others in this way...I have only one thing to say. It's a long way to fall.

I believe in a loving God. Yes~ he sets down rules to follow. And no~ I don't believe that we should ignore any of his commandments, but where does it say to hate those different from us. I don't have all the answers, but I know this. We all are 'less than perfect.'

And you wonder why children are bullied for being different.

Remember compassion and love. An all encompassing love...

Comments

  1. "Sitting on top of a perch, judging others in this way...I have only one thing to say. It's a long way to fall."

    I can't get your post off my mind. A number of years ago, I found my brother who was placed for adoption at birth like myself. Less than 10 months after I was born, he was conceived from another affair. Apparently, our married mother with three older children at home didn't have her life together at that time.

    After receiving my letter, my brother finally wrote me back a long time later. For the most part, I attributed his random guarded communications with me to him being a high-profile sheriff. But early on when I was searching for him, I learned that he was most-likely gay and a very private person. The contact followed from her advantage point by saying, "I don't want to see you get hurt if he chooses not to meet you." Although it still breaks my heart, having some knowledge of this over the years has been my saving grace.

    How could I have ever said, "You are my brother," if you are gay, your life-style is not what's important to me in our relationship." It could have been considered slander and besides he wears the guns. Like you I am a Christian and I am conservative, but I can not judge him. Besides, I've had a rough adoption journey and I believe we needed each other.

    In our last correspondence, I had asked my brother via an e-mail how his adoptive mother he absolutely adored was doing after the death of his adoptive father. He said that his mother had remarried and her new husband didn't want anything to do with him and that rejection hurts like hell. I've never heard from him again.

    When we hate those who are different than us, our words and actions can even deeply hurt family members as well.

    Thanks for sharing!

    JoAnne Bennett

    ReplyDelete
  2. JoAnne,
    Thanks so much for sharing. I just wanted to remind people nobody's perfect. I don't have all the answers, but if we apply the same love as we do to the ones around us, maybe we all could a little more understanding and compassionate. I appreciate your thoughts.
    Jerri

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts