Hunger Games Movie- PG-13?

Okay, I’m going to rant a tad. Has nothing to do with me really, but it’s been bothering me. So what’s my blog for if not to give my opinions? Right. No, I’m not going to complain about having to stay later at work and hitting awful traffic every day! No, I’m not going to complain about how late I’m getting home or how it’s messing up my sleep schedule. Nor am I going to complain about the Pats losing to the Jets or how I can’t watch Sports Center until after the Super Bowl! And I’m not going to grumble about the incessant snow. At least not today.

Today, I’m going on a rant about making the Hunger Games book series into a PG-13 movie! A friend showed me an article in Entertainment Weekly (a magazine I might add I enjoy tremendously). But anyhow EW did an interview with the director Gary Ross. Mr. Ross talked about how gripping the Hunger Games books were in which I have no issue with. I have documented my opinion on the series. The first book Hunger Games is the best book I’ve read in a long time. What I do have issue with is a PG-13 rating for a movie about the books. I had trouble with the thought of a twelve year old reading the book much less making it into a movie for them to see. Mr. Ross said in the interview that he didn’t believe that the violence too extreme because Ms Collins wasn’t graphic in her details rather it was her ideals she created that caused the terror. I can’t disagree with that assessment to a degree. Ms Collins wrote a great book, a great series, but I cringed to think about a few scenes, especially one, being watched by a twelve year old. How on earth are you going to film the horrible death of 12 year old in a manner that isn’t going to negatively affect a child? It affected me reading it and I’m an old woman! The one thing that makes Ms Collins' books stand out is her premise of her storyline and after reading the books the story still haunts me, which to me is a sign of a good book. I'll not soon forget the story or the characters.

The excuse that kids see worse on TV doesn't cut it either.They shouldn't. I'm old enough to realize that money talks. I'm certain the blockbuster movies that Twilght and Harry Potter have turned into has influenced movie executives. Kids love movies. Movie executives love to make money. But this series PG-13? Or maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm getting too old to appreciate what a child can see and be able to sleep through the night afterwards.

Should it be a movie? I think it would make a great movie, but not for children. And before anyone tells me, I do realize that it's classified as a young adult book. I just don't think that some of the key elements of the book that should be disturbing to a 12 year old can be left out. And if you leave them in it couldn't possibly a PG-13 movie. So do you think it's okay to make it into a PG-13 movie?

Comments

Popular Posts