Romance of Charleston

I love Charleston. It is an absolutely gorgeous city. Charleston is a city of romance—cobbled streets, twisted live Virginia oaks, large grand plantation homes and Southern charm! 
Vacation Summer 2011 Charleston and trip 146 Situated between the Ashley and Cooper Rivers, Charleston was established in its present site in 1680 as a port town. A wall was built around the new town to protect the inhabitants from Indians, pirates and assaults from Spain and France. The settlement became a major commercial center, which helped support the development of wealthy merchants and the planter class.  Soon, it became known that there was value in Charleston. 
Vacation Summer 2011 Charleston and trip 409
Charleston was originally called Charles Town, named after the British king, King Charles. After the American Revolution, it was renamed Charleston and Charleston it remains. Charleston flourished...it holds such a rich and deep history. 
Vacation Summer 2011 Charleston and trip 352
When I was doing research on the American Revolution, I discovered the history behind Charleston. I'm not from South Carolina, but I am a Southerner. Even today, the South's people are instilled with beliefs long-held by their ancestors: loyalty, courage, duty and honor. 
2014-10-23 14.51.53Decisions made over 150 years ago still affect us today. Mistakes were made, only to be corrected by a long and horrendous war. We, Southerners, are a stubborn lot. Looking back in history, there were times when we could have taken a different route. We didn't. The fact is we can't ignore what happened in the past. It is part of our history.
I have always maintained that the Civil War was brought about because we didn't want to be told what to do. Truly, I cannot believe, that the good Southerners I know they were, would not have realized what a dreadful institution slavery was. Perhaps, they choose to believe the propaganda themselves that was spread to justify slavery. 
Because of the sensitivity of the subject of slavery, I believe that it has made it hard to write about the time period. I have no desire to offend anyone and I hope I haven't in this story. It is purely fictionally, but I have tried to keep as true to the era as I can. I have made an effort not to white-wash the history. This—Southern Legacy Saga—is from my heart.
Most people visualize lovely Southerner Belles on large plantations when they think of the Antebellum South. With good reason, it is romantic. I know for a fact that not all ladies were Southerner Belles. My great great-great grandmother, Anne Bolton, lived in a small community in Alabama. Extremely poor. Her father died in the Battle of Shiloh fighting for the South, leaving her mother with four small children to raise. But Anne Bolton lived a wondrous life, one to be greatly admired. One day, I hope to tell you more about her.
BelleofCharleston (1)
Belle of Charleston
Writing this series has, also, been hard, but it is something I've always wanted to write. I wanted to show the romance of the era along with its hardships. The greatest love stories come from the most turbulent of times.






SOUTHERN LEGACY SAGA:
Shadows of Magnolia ~ Coming January 26!!!
Born To Be Brothers ~ Coming Spring 2015
The Sun Will Rise ~ Coming Late Spring/Early Summer 2015
AUTHOR'S NOTE:
This is a serial! The books in this series may have cliffhangers and hooks to make you want to continue to the next book. Do not begin if you don't want to become addicted to the series! Southern Legacy will consist of four books-- Belle of Charleston, Shadows of Magnolia, Born to Be Brothers and The Sun Will Rise. Enjoy!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to read the books in order in the Southern Legacy Series. This is a SERIAL! One book ends and the other picks up where it left off. If you don't like cliffhangers, wait until the release of the whole series. Then all the books will be offered as a box set and will as be released in print at that time.

Comments

Popular Posts