We the People!

My daughter and I enjoyed a few days away together. Such a lovely time. It's not often that I get to spend quality time with just her. I let her choose a place within driving distance. Being a history teacher, she chose Philadelphia. 

Given my love for history, I jumped at it. I hadn't been to Philadelphia in over twenty years. We had a great time. One of the things I enjoyed the most about the city was that all the research I have done over the years for my American historicals was vindicated. As in my series, Winds of Betrayal, the cry for freedom echoes on the streets of Phildelphia.




What I found that vindicated my research further was with my book, Southern Legacy. Southern Legacy was written with a purpose. It is my most personal book. Southern Legacy is a sweeping romance, but underneath the romance is the message I believe the whole country needs today, an acceptance of who we are. Southern Legacy was written to give a voice to the different perspectives of the Civil War: Southern, Northern and slaves. 

I wrote about Philadelphia in Southern Legacy and the Underground Railroad.

I know that Southern Legacy is first and foremost a romance. That I'm not denying. Yet, I feel its more. At the end of the book, there is a passage I would like to share...
You looked beyond the color of their skin and saw them as people. I have had time to think on all the things in my life and have come to a realization that the world would be a better place to live if we all judged others by their deeds and not by their appearance. I have determined that it must have been the way your father raised you. It is my desire for you to raise our children in the same manner. I want them to see the good in all people for I have seen the worst. 


My daughter and I went to the National Constitution Center. I would highly recommend a visit to the center to every American. I was inspired by the performance of We the People. We Americans should never forget the path it took to gain our freedom and exactly what freedom means for us all. America is a nation of diversity...no matter of our color, religion or sexual orientation. We are Americans...we are the people.

American stands for us all.

(The pictures above came from visiting the Liberty Bell.)

AMAZON    BARNESANDNOBLE   ITUNES   KOBO   GOOGLEPLAY










Comments

Popular Posts