INSPIRATION FOR WINDS OF BETRAYAL

Oh, what to write! A dramatic murder suspense? A scary page-turning paranormal? A love story for the ages? So many possibilities run rampant through my mind staring at a blank page. Why then am I drawn to historical suspense? Why does the past conjure up so many tales to be told?

WINDS OF BETRAYAL


Perhaps I romanticize the past or simply it’s a connection to the past I seek. I know only that I love the challenge of recreating a bit of history. I’ll let you in on a little secret. I love history. As you might suspect with my writings, I find the American Revolution utterly fascinating.

So many ideas swirl around my little head when I do research and none more so than when I was doing research for Winds of Betrayal. It was how I discovered the Culper Spy Ring. The more I read, the more fascinated I became with the spy ring. Inspiration! Everything one could wish to write a thrilleraction, intrigue, danger, love. So the Winds of Betrayal began loosely based on Washington’s elite spy network.

The danger of living the life of a spy was enormous. They lived with the constant fear of discovery. If discovered, they faced the hangman’s noose as was seen with the death of Nathan Hale.
During the occupation of New York by the British, Nathan Hale was caught by the Redcoats and hanged without trial. Afterwards, Washington appointed Tallmadge head of the Continental Army’s secret service. With that, Tallmadge established the Culper Spy Ring.

With secrecy being of the utmost importance, Washington never even knew the names of those in the ring. He knew them only by numbers or an alias.

 My research led me to speculate about women’s roles during this time. With nothing being more dangerous at that time than spying and the price of being caught for a man was hanging, what about a woman? At the beginning of the war, neither American nor British thought women capable of such a deception. But I believe that women wereand would have been quite efficient in their efforts.

The women seemed to have been just as passionate for their cause as the men of that time. Case and point, Margaret Kemble Gage, American born wife of General Thomas Gage, Commander of the British Army at the beginning of the American Revolution in Boston. Did you know that it was highly suspected that Margaret Gage supplied information to Patriot leaders? It was suspected she may have even given the information that led to the famous ride of Paul Rever. Her punishmentGeneral Gage sent her to England.
Although for another woman, I doubt the punishment would have been as lenient, especially after the war began to turn in favor of the Patriot cause. But without question, I write about strong, opinionated women, who have to overcome adversity to achieve their happiness.

There was no winner to the trivia game so far. No one has answered the questions!

Winds of Betrayal saga is a riveting, captivating historical series. I invite you to be swept away back into the past. Enjoy!
heavensshallfall (3)
COMING SOON!


Comments

Popular Posts